Employer Issues: COVID-19 Edition 1
KBM Management wants to keep you informed and well advised as we navigate these uncharted waters of business and life. Information. legislation and guidance are being released quickly as the nation addresses the COVID-19 crisis. Below is a list of many important business topics employers and employees need to understand. Please reach out to your KBM representative with questions on any of these, or other topics related to your employee benefit plans.
- Telemedicine: If your employee benefits plan includes this benefit (most do) please distribute information to your employees. The ability to call a doctor, rather than go to the office, Urgent care, or ER is an excellent option to avoid others and stopping the spread No Cost Sharing for Telemedicine services, DFS Telemedicine
- Paid Family Leave (PFL) and NYS Statutory Disability (DBL): New York State has amended both PFL and DBL laws to include provisions for individuals on mandatory or precautionary quarantines due to COVID-19. Regulations are based on employer size.
- Unemployment Insurance: New York State has waived the 7-day waiting period for UI Benefits. It’s recommended that individuals file online and employers follow up quickly. https://labor.ny.gov/unemploymentassistance.shtm
- COBRA: The rules for COBRA have not changed, YET… If you are having to letting employees go, please reach out to your KBM Representative to discuss the process.
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act: Paid Sick Leave Provisions
- NYS Department of Financial Services Action: The NYS Department of Financial Services has reached out to all Insurance Carriers to address potential cancellations, penalties for late payments, and lapses in services. More to come, but understand it is being addressed as both employers and insurance carriers navigate this crisis.
KBM’s staff is 100% remote, but ready and able to assist your business. Please reach out with any questions that relate to your benefits plan and the potential impact of this crisis on your business.